Council Minutes


Betws-y-Coed Community Council

Minutes of the Meeting held on the 11th February 2019


Present – Gareth Wynne Chairman, Gwawr Jones, Marion Betteney, Janet Charlton, Cllr Elizabeth Roberts, Caerwyn Roberts, Clerk.

Apologies  --  Nick Corney, Neil Pringle, Sian Godbert

Declaration of interest – No Declaration of interest

 

Minutes of the meeting of the 10th December 2018, read and approved.

Note, No meeting held on the 14th January 2019 due to lack of quorum

 

Matters Arising

[1] Police Matters

[a] The clerk referred to the following from PCSO Jonathan Thomas;

Whilst  there were no reports of any issues in the Betws-y-Coed area, there had been theft of significant quantities of red diesel and oil from farms in the Pentrefoelas area.

 

[1.1]Feasibility Report Pont y Pair Bridge/Coed Cynhelir Road

Cllr Elizabeth Roberts reported on the meeting held with Mr Vic Turner Conwy CBC to discuss the report. Cllr Roberts explained that while several recommendations including signage etc had been made, however no immediate action was envisaged. Noted that a further meeting with the AM Janet Finch Saunders was being arranged. In the meantime, the clerk to contact Conwy CBC regarding the possibility of a footbridge.

 

[1.2] Management of Cae Llan

Resolved to respond to the enquiries regarding the hire of the field for the purpose of food stalls, that the Council in the first instance was writing to all local businesses. Clerk to circulate draft letter prior to the next meeting.

 

[1.3] Flooding Pentre Du

Resolved to discuss the report with Sian Godbert the Flood Warden at the next meeting of the Council.

 

[1.4] Conwy Valley Railway Line Service

Noted the response from Ken Skates that Transport for Wales had experienced several difficulties relating to weather conditions etc but improvements were now in place including increasing the frequency from three to four trains per day and introducing an all year round Sunday service.

 

[1.5] National Eisteddfod of Wales Llanrwst

Gwawr Jones reported that the target set for the community had now been met and that preparations for the concert at St Mary’s Church on the 17th March were now well underway.

 

Main Agenda

[1.6] Mr Geraint Edwards Head of Environmental Services Conwy CBC

Mr Edwards was welcomed to the meeting and explained the role of the environmental services  within the County Council including Highways, Public Toilets, Car Parks and Playgrounds etc.  Mr Edwards advised that the Council was again facing severe budget constraints which would no doubt affect  service delivery.

 

[1.7] Financial Matters

[a] Resolved to approve the receipts and payments [circulated] made during Dec 2018 and January 2019.

[b] Noted the comparison admission figures for Swallow Falls [circulated] to the end of January 2019

[c] Precept – Noting the current level of reserves, resolved to set a precept of £3,000.00 for the 2019/20 financial year.

[d] Noted -Auditor General for Wales Reports;

[a] Financial Management and Governance Town & Community Councils 2017/16

[b] Internal Audit Arrangements at Town and Community Councils.

 

[1.8] Planning Matters

[a] Change of use of unit to provide dog grooming service. Unit D Royal Oak Stables

Resolved to raise no objection to the above proposal.

[b] Noted – Tree Preservation Order Afon Llugwy, Royal Oak Farm

 

[1.9] Vacant Council Seat

The clerk referred to an application from Mr Dyfed Jones, Rhoslan, Pentre Du to become a member of the Community Council.  Resolved to invite Mr Jones to become a co-opted member of the Council.

 

[2] Risk Assessment

The clerk referred to the risk assessments carried out at the Memorial Hall and Swallow Falls visitor centre. Resolved to approve the risk assessments prepared by the clerk.

 

[2.1] Gwydir Reservoir Safety Works

Noted that works are continuing at Llyn Goddionduon, Llyn Tynymynydd, Llyn Cyfty, and Llyn Sarnau with the aim of to achieve completion by summer 2019.

 

[2.2] Dwr Cymru

The clerk referred to correspondence from Dwr Cymru advising that educational visits were carried out at Ysgol Betws-y-Coed, Capel Garmon and Dolwyddelan. The children had learnt about water supply, conservation and treatment of wastewater etc.

 

[2.3] Request from Ms Heather Beale

The clerk referred to a request from Ms Heather Beale that a bin be placed at the bottom of the footpath leading up to Llyn Elsie to encourage dog owners to deposit their rubbish and dog mess. Resolved to provide a bin, clerk to enquire with Conwy CBC regarding collection.

 

[2.4] Climber and Rambler

Clerk to request that SNPA re visit the empty shop.

 

[2.5] Lighting Column Station Road

Members expressed concern that the column had now been unlit since November 2017.

Clerk to make further enquiries seeking time scale etc for repair with the National Park’s local representative  Cllr  Wyn Ellis Jones, copies also to SNPA Jonathan Cawley and Edward Jones.

 

[2.6] The following information was noted;

[a] Beics Betws – Bike Hire Business

[b] Sian Williams Democratic Services Conwy CBC

[c] Conwy CBC Land Drainage Consultation.

[d] Betws-y-Coed Fire Station Recruitment Difficulties